Saturday, May 23, 2009

[Vegetarianslimming] Re: Dilemma of Eating out



I am glad that you found a buffet that had some edible dessert. It must have been a pricier place. We go to a Chinese buffet--there are lots of good veggie items including a tofu entree, but the desert stuff is truly awful: instant pudding, soft ice cream made with hydrogenated fat, cakes made from poor quality mixes, pastries with hydrogenated fats, obviously packaged cookies, and on and on. I usually eat the fruit in the small salad bar -- yes a Chinese buffet has a salad bar that includes sea veggies :-)

One of the ways that I learned to resist desserts in restaurants was to learn what truly great desserts are. That way, I was no longer tempted by most of the garbage that they claim as desserts in most restaurants. I learned to make cakes from scratch, pies made with wonderful ingredients like the finest chocolate, and tried many cookie recipes. I also learned to rarely make desserts, like just for company and then send the left overs home with the guests.

Now that I cannot eat gluten, most of those dessert problems are solved. However, I do make a wonderful chocolate cornstarch pudding with top quality chocolate from scratch--I make it with nonfat milk and add no butter at the end. It is pretty respectable calorie-wise as far as desserts are concerned. Here is the recipe:

1 oz unsweetened chocolate--use a good quality "baking" chocolate, not cocoa powder
2 cups nonfat milk
1/2 cup sugar
3 tblsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Dissolve the cornstarch in the cold milk*. Add chocolate, sugar, & salt to the milk mixture. Stirring constantly [I use a wire wisk], cook over medium heat until it comes to a simmer. Stir until it thickens and add the vanilla--brandy would also be a great alternative flavor.

Turn out into small bowls and refrigerate for future treats. I think it is better the next day when it is cold with a little "skin" on the top.

*You can use unsweetened soymilk but it will be higher in fat, therefore calories. If you want to increase the protein and calcium, you can use all or part nonfat canned milk--an old trick I learned from Weight Watchers.

Kathleen

I went out to dinner with a friend last night. We went to a buffet place so I would have veggie choices. I had some great veggies, but caved to the dessert buffet. I had a brownie and a piece of pie.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment