Saturday, January 9, 2010

[Vegetarianslimming] a catchup post

 



Hi everyone,
 
I am afraid I have been conspicuous by my absence for the last week or so as we have had an overseas visitor staying with us.  I was thrilled to see how many posts had come in during my absence.  It is so nice to know that we are all supporting each other in our quest for a healthier lifestyle.
 
The first week of 2010 has come and gone and I hope those who made new year resolutions to work on their lifestyle, health and weight issues have managed to stick with them so far.  The first days are always the most difficult.
 
I have not really had my resolve fully tested yet as it is really easy to think about things other than food and eating when there is a visitor in the house.  Next week it will be interesting to see if I can continue with the good beginning.  My real aim is to get to the point where I can think of food as no more than fuel and my body as a machine which needs only a given amount of fuel to keep operating efficiently.
 
CASSIE, I know just what you mean when you say that losing weight and eating well does tend to take over our thinking when we determine to treat our bodies with more respect.  At this stage I have found the most effective way to get good results is to be aware of what and why I am eating.  Although I have yet found a way to conquer it, I now realise that much of my problem stems from habit and boredom.  Also, I honestly had no real idea of how much and how frequently I was eating during the day so that's why writing everything down was a huge help for me.  Now I know what triggers my over-eating I hope it will lead me to finding a solution.  Of course it was easy for me last week with our visitor here but next week I'll be really put to the test.
 
JULIET, I really understand what you mean when you talk about the link between happiness and keeping at a healthy weight.  It's that old 'comfort eating' thing and the happier we are the less likely it is that we'll indulge in comfort eating.
 
I hope you vegetable garden is coming along well although I guess it isn't exactly gardening weather at the moment!!  If things in Kent are anything like they are here in the Netherlands you could get in your daily exercise shovelling snow.
 
DRAGON, it sounds to me as if your dietitian is really well tuned in to you as a complete person.  It is wonderful that he is encouraging you to look first at why you feel the way you do about food before trying to change anything.  Understanding your relationship with food is far more important than number crunching. Your dietitian is working with you to discover the cause of your weight problem rather than treating the symptom by sending you off with a diet plan and an ideal weigh chart.  You must have come away from your appointment feeling very encouraged and motivated. 
 
It's amazing how something visual such as the bar on the calorie count program can really prove so encouraging.  Encouragement is so important when dealing with an eating issue as it is sometimes difficult to get motivated if we see the task as too great.  Things like seeing the calorie bar moving in the right direction can trigger our minds to feel encouraged rather than discouraged. 
 
Don't tempt me!!  Visiting you in Cambridge and lunching at Wagamama is always a huge highlight of my trips to England.  However the friend we stay with in England is very unsure of how long she will be able to stay in her present rented house and doesn't want to have any visitors at the moment.  The landlord has told her that the house is on the market and that she may have to move out at short notice.  Sadly, until that all gets sorted out, I doubt I'll be in England. 
 
Best of luck to you all with your continued efforts to strive for a healthier lifestyle.
 
Cheers from Marie in Haarlem, Netherlands

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment