Friday, May 21, 2010

CASSIE - Re: [Vegetarianslimming] Marie Chain Challenge

 

Hi Cassie and everyone,
 
With all the rushing around we do just to get through our daily lives these days, sitting at the table and sharing meals with family and/or friends is an oasis of calm in the day.  My husband and I always sit down to breakfast together at a set table, even though we seldom have more than toast and tea for breakfast.  We do the same every evening although the meal is slightly more involved then.  I wouldn't want to substitute silence for these special, sharing times.  Even though I do wish to be more aware of what/when I am eating I certainly don't want that to be at the expense of good conversation and companionship. 
 
My goal is to refrain from eat distractedly when I am alone.  At those times I want to be focussed on what I am eating and to allow my mind time to register that I have actually eaten.  Hopefully this will send a message to the 'I'm hungry' area of my brain and let it know the difference between true hunger and eating for the sake of eating.
 
I am not concentrating on changing what I eat or the quantity I eat but just being aware of what I eat.  I am hoping that, by registering that I have already eaten, my brain will be less likely to stray towards wanting unnecessary extra snacks. 
 
There is no way that I am ready to even contemplate the yogic discipline and spiritual awareness as practised by the yogis you mentioned.  I'm sure none of them have to get over the problem of obesity so they are able to work on their journeys along the spiritual path to enlightenment.   I truly admire them for their commitment but, at this stage, my main aim with mindful eating is far more basic - to focus on doing what is best for my physical health.
 
 
Cheers from Marie
 

--- On Thu, 20/5/10, Cassie Dixon <roxy87cabriolet@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Cassie Dixon <roxy87cabriolet@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Vegetarianslimming] Marie Chain Challenge
To: "Vegetarianslimming@yahoogroups.com" <Vegetarianslimming@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thursday, 20 May, 2010, 13:57

 

Mindfull eating is something I struggle with myself. I am the asst. dir. of Camp Yogaville, a week-long sleepover camp for kids ages 7-12 in Virginia at an ashram. The yogis at the ashram eat in silence to truly be mindful, but sooooo many of the 18-25 aged crowd at the ashram eat outside and socialize. I like the idea of cutting out technology, but I agree that 3 meals a day, 7 days a week of silence might seem unrealistic (as it surely does for me).
I like your first step. I tried it last night- no tv with Hubby until AFTER dinner (he suggested we catch up on a show while eating). I started to distract him with questions about work (of which I rarely ask). It worked to my advantage and I stopped eating my full plate about 3/4 of the way through!!!
I like the chain and the suggestions, as many times I figure- I'm vegetarian, I exercise, I don't drink soda or coffee, I eat 2-4 meals a day, thinking I'm doing all I can. It never hurts to change the routine and focus on some new aspect.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment