Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Re: [Vegetarianslimming] Re: Ever find worms in dried beans?



This is good to know as I have been wanting to start dealing with raw beans. Glad this was brought up! :-)

Cindi

-- On Sun, 4/19/09, Coop <rodstruelove@dodo.com.au> wrote:
From: Coop <rodstruelove@dodo.com.au>
Subject: Re: [Vegetarianslimming] Re: Ever find worms in dried beans?
To: "Vegetarianslimming@yahoogroups.com" <Vegetarianslimming@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sunday, April 19, 2009, 2:36 PM

Thanks for the tip ‹ I¹d never found them before, so it was a surprise to

me. Especially, as I say, because Australia is very picky about letting

anything cross the border that could have bugs in it.

Anna

On 20/4/09 12:20 AM, "Kathleen Pelley" <kmpelley@yahoo. com> wrote:

> I have found that worms in beans, especially black-eyed peas, is very common.

> I think that organic beans are part of the problem. However, I still buy

> organic because I think that is healthier for me and the planet. I put beans

> in the freezer to be sure that the moths and moth eggs are killed. However, I

> pick through beans for rocks and I rinse my beans before beginning the cooking

> process.

>

> I used to have friends who were organic bean farmers. I assisted them in

> getting beans ready for the market--we picked out dirt and rocks out of the

> beans, bean by bean. Probably not everyone is as careful as my friends were.

> He is now an organic farming consultant.

>

> Kathleen

> Eureka CA

>

> ======

>

> I am used to picking through my dried beans and rinsing them before I use them

> ... I have occasionally found rocks and other debris in them. But today I was

> surprised to find 4 or 5 tiny worms in my black-eyed peas! My husband was

> even more surprised because they are a product of the USA and we live in

> Australia.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]











[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment