Wednesday, September 21, 2011

[Vegetarianslimming] Re: Is my bike a vegetarian?

 

I believe Michelin tyres might be the only ones guaranteed to be totally animal free. Other makes are thought to use animal-sourced stearic acid in the production technique. Reading through manufacturing techs it seems Schwalbe might be veggie. There might be some animal derivatives in some greases too. However, at least we can minimise our affect on other creatures. It would be nearly impossible to totally not affect them. By not eating meat we are slicing into the industrial mindset of using animals as products - hopefully.

Geoff
http://geoffnelder.com

--- In Vegetarianslimming@yahoogroups.com, pipedream63 <pipedream63@...> wrote:
>
> I thought he might say the tires ‹ I¹d heard that rendered animal parts are
> used in producing some types of rubber, including the kind that is used in
> tires.
>
> Anna
>
>
> On 21/9/11 6:54 AM, "Geoff" <geoffnelder@...> wrote:
>
> >
> > I collected a new spare cycle from a bike shop yesterday. Mainly it will be my
> > son riding it when he's over from Nottingham. We can then go for some all-day
> > touring together. I've a Dawes Super Galaxy at home – great but pricey to have
> > a clone so I ordered its younger sister, a Dawes Vantage. The man in the bike
> > shop said, "I can swap the default saddle for a Brooks quite cheaply."
> > I said, "No thanks, the Brooks is made of leather and I'm a veggie."
> > "No problem," he said, "but what about other stuff on the bike that is made
> > from animals?"
> > "There isn't anything," I said, wondering if maybe there was some lanolin in a
> > lubricant.
> > "Ah," he said, pointing at the handlebars. "The tape."
> > "But... but they're cork."
> > "Yes," he said, with a smile showing he'd scored.
> > I waited a minute to see if the penny would drop by itself, but when it didn't
> > I had to say, "Cork is tree."
> >
> > Geoff
> > http://geoffnelder.com
> >
>
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment