Saturday, March 20, 2010

[Vegetarianslimming] Mostly Potato Oven Fried Pancakes

 

Dear Friends,

Your non-vegetarian friend has done it again. It wasn't until my husband
pointed out that I'd done a good job of getting my kids to eat their
veggies for lunch without a whimper that I realized it. He called my lunch
vegetarian. It wasn't because the vegetables had been cooked with meat, but of
course, there was simply no reason why this dish shouldn't be vegetarian.
Just don't cook the vegetables with meat. Duh. LOL

In fact, I wouldn't have CHOSEN to do cook them with meat except that I
was making use of leftovers, and that was how my husband had prepared the
veggies, but there was no need to do it that way. In fact, I realized that if
you substituted a vegetarian thickening/sticking agent in for the eggs
(such a thing does exist, no?), this would actually be a vegan dish.

Anyway, I thought you might enjoy it. It is low fat, healthy, and (tah
dah!) child-friendly. My decidedly carnivorous older son LOVED it. My
(pescatarian) little boy loved it, too. However, please forgive me. I was
using leftovers and eyeballing it. Therefore, amounts are a bit sketchy.
Where I know an amount, I'll say so. Where I don't, I'll do my best to
approximate, but I trust in your intelligence. When you see the texture is right,
it's right. The "batter" shouldn't be too thin or too thick. I'm sure
you can shuffle the ingredients to get it right.

So... without further ado... here it is...

Mostly Potato Oven Fried Pancakes

Ingredients:
3 huge boiled red potatoes (I used the skins, too)
cooked cabbage, a bunch (not too much or the pancakes will be too loose and
you'll have to add too much filler), chopped up
1 box sliced white mushrooms, chopped up a bit
2 extra large eggs (more if you need them; egg substitute is fine)
fat free refried beans (I used leftovers... I'd guess about half a can)
reduced fat (light) firm tofu (again, I used leftovers, perhaps half a box)
cooked Rice or grains (I used leftover Rice Select Whole Grains from 2
different blends- it's a rice grain blend. You can use any rice or grain). I
don't know how much I used, maybe half a cup or a little more?
Irish stone ground oatmeal (enough to make the texture seem right... maybe
a cup?)
whole wheat flour (just a bit... maybe a quarter to a third of a cup)
soy sauce
bit of minced garlic and fresh ground black pepper
cooking spray
That's it... at least I think that's it.

Directions:
Mash everything up and smoosh it together. Take a Pyrex pan (I used 2
large ones) and spray with Pam or other cooking spray. Use a tablespoon to
"measure" your patties (I used an old-not old fashioned, but almost
antique-huge silver spoon; I mention this only because old utensils were larger than
their modern counterpart... MUCH larger). Then roll them up into balls in
your hands and place them in the Pyrex pans. Use a large spachelor to
flatten the balls into patties. Bake at 350 for about half an hour, checking
every ten minutes for doneness. Then serve with applesauce and/or fat free
sour cream. That's it. The kids enjoy doing much of the smooshing for
you; just make sure their hands are clean first!

In Vino Veritas,
*´¨) Janis Abbe
. ·´ ¸.·*¨) ¸.·*¨) ¸.·*¨ )
(¸.·´ (¸.*´ ¸.·´ `·-* *
Oenaphile, Logophile, Ailurophile, Bibliophile
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre
minds." ~Albert Einstein
"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest." ~Paul Simon
"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints; the sinners
are much more fun." ~ Billy Joel

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment